If Sondre Norheim could have skied the Voilé X2 Telemark Binding
, he might never have left the mountains of Norway for the flatlands of North Dakota.
The X2 sums up 35 years of telemark binding innovation and evolution from Voilé. One of the hallmarks of that body of work is our consistent abandonment of the use of flexible (and breakable) cables. Stranded wires may be great for moving electrons, but for transferring turning forces to a ski, our own tenet of rigid coiled springs, steel rods and spring-loaded cartridges has more than proven itself over time.
In 2007, we took a cue from the randonnée world and introduced the now-legendary, Voilé Switchback
, a telemark binding with a foolproof, free-pivot option that greatly facilitates climbing. (And does so with the simple flick of a ski pole.)
Built on the success of the Switchback, the X2 is a beefier, more-active, binding—but still an uphill wonder. And wrapped up in a sleek, minimalist design that a Scandinavian would admire and that lives up to a Voilé credo: Less is ALWAYS more.
Optimized for maximum power transfer, the X2 is augmented with stiffer cartridges, a much-longer toe plate and a boot pivot point relocated 26mm to the rear. The happy result is a powerful binding with superb downhill performance and the added efficiency of much-easier uphill travel. With regard to the latter, the X2 and Switchback, as well as our 3-Pin Hardware, all feature dual-height climbing elevators.
When you reach the top of your toil, just “switch back” to the X2’s downhill mode, and you’ll soon be making turns that would even make Sondre jealous. Not compatible with the Voilé Release Kit.
- Toe plate lengthened for more boot contact and new Hardwire cable position for more power.
- Stiffer cartridge springs by 25%.
- Full-wrap around stainless steel toe plate without rivets.
- Enclosed design eliminates ice build-up.
- Lightest weight available, 3.2 lbs/1451.5g/pair.
- Appropriate riser height, 25mm.
- Time tested Hardwire heel assembly instead of braided cables.
- Includes dual height heel elevators +65mm/100mm.
- Ideal for Off-Piste